Monday, October 31, 2005

Kitchen in Disarray

Thursday night while cleaning the kitchen I moved the mat in front of the sink only to find that it was wet underneath. I shrugged it off as the kids probably spilled some water and failed to wipe it up. Anyway, I pulled the mat away and dried the wood flooring with some towells.

The next day about 4:00 p.m. I had just returned from work at Starbucks when I noticed the trash bag that lives under the sink was out. So I put it back. A few minutes later Mimi removed it again and informed me that the floorboard under the sink appeared to be wet. So I began investigating. What I found when I removed everything? Our water filtration system that was here when we moved in 7 years ago today, had been knocked over and was flooding the cabinets. There was a good inch of standing water in some places.

We immediately stood up the water treatment system and began sopping up the water with a sponge and towells. Next I called AAA, our home owners insurance company and filed a claim over the phone. They sent an emergency team out on Saturday to begin the cleanup process. Well, there was mold in there...so they sealed our cabinets and set up a loud dehydration system. The large machine in my kitchen has been running non-stop now for over 48 hours. We have called both AAA and the company who brought the machine today but haven't had our calls returned. Hopefully before we leave to go Trick-or-Treating tonight we'll get some answers. We are not sure how big of a problem we are in for, but we are bracing ourselves.

Our house is now almost 20 years old and it seems like things are starting to happen that indicate the house is 20 years old. Right now many of our neighbors are putting new roofs on their homes...ours has held up so far, but you never know what the next fix will be. I'll post more when I know more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home