Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Baseball Starts Today!

Opening day is one of my favorite holidays! You may not consider such, but to me it is as special at least as much as St. Patricks' Day, Ground Hog Day, and several of the other so-called holidays. What is it that is so special about Opening Day! It signifies a fresh start.

There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball and only one can win. That means that as of right now, only Boston Red Sox fans have anything to brag about. The rest of us (I'm a Dodger fan) can only look to next season, which fortunately begins for me today. All the disappointments of last season, all the off-season trades and acquisitions all are put aside for a new chance at making it happen.

I like the idea that we can start over. The mistakes of the past are erased and everyone begins with a clean slate. It doesn't matter what a team batted last year, or how high a pitcher's ERA was. Everything starts over today. I'm reminded of the Psalmist who wrote, "Your mercies are new every "season"...morning."

What teams will score big this year? Which records will fall? Who will be the next victim of the steroid story? Only time will tell, what stories will emerge this season. I know that for me there is no better time of year. The Dodgers are still in the pennant race...with 162 games to go! Play ball!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home