Saturday, April 09, 2005

Lattes & Mochas to Come...

Today it became official. I was hired by Starbucks to be a Barista...on my way to a shift supervisor. Many have asked why I would do this so I thought I share the top four reasons I am going to work for Starbucks.

1. To be in the community and to be known by the community. Being incarnational means going to where the people are and joining them in their world. Especially with a house church ministry it is important for me to be in the community.
2. To receive needed benefits for my family. Starbucks has a great benefits package that kicks in at 20 hours per week. Most places require full-time employment in order to receive benefits.
3. To supplement our support base. You notice I did not say to replace it! We still need the ongoing gifts and support that we are receiving. At this point we are at about 80% of our needed support...in other words to get back to where we were before we started this journey:)
4. To receive training in running a coffee establishment. It is part of our dream to own/operate a coffee house as a way of being in the community and blessing the people of our extended neighborhood. Starbucks will provide me with valuable resources and training so that when the time comes, I'll be ready!

I hope this answers some of your questions. Feel free to email me with specific questions or you can post your comments to this blog!

2 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger friendoffrodo said...

Thanks Jason, for your encouragement. Your journey and story are a great source of inspiration for me personally. Blessings on your journey as well!

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob,
Jer.29:11-13. Well done good and faithful servant.
Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home