Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Ted's in a New Home

Monday after much prayer, debate, conversation and research it became clear to everyone that Mimi's grandfather, Ted, belonged in a care facility. The discussion has gone on for several months and we all knew this day was coming. It finally arrived. Ted suffers from Alheimer's Disease. He is also in remission for Prostate Cancer. His health and mind have been deteriorating for the past several years. He is still generally a good natured, kind and gentle man, which is the Ted I have known for eleven years now.

Ted's wife, Alice, is now alone. She has care herself for 10-12 hours a day, and it is probably only a matter of time before she will need the same kind of care that Ted is receiving. So there are lots of questions regarding when is the best time to make this next change? What do we do with the house? All of these questions will be answered in the coming months. Pray that God's peace is with Mimi's family, especially Tom and Carol, as they are making most of the decisions and providing the majority of care.

3 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God's grace has been so evident in the choice of time and place for Ted's new home.......
Ted is my father. When I was a child I adored his attention and even demanded it. As a teen I moved from calling him 'daddy' to the more formal 'Dad' so I could do the necessary separation bit. Sometime along the line he became daddy again; perhaps it was during the siege of prostate cancer that stole his strength or perhaps when the Alzheimer's started robbing his mind.

My dad has never been a big man but he has always been a tower of strength and optimism for our family. My mom just couldn't make the needed decision so I had the agonizing responsibility of finding a new home for him where he could receive 24 hour/day care. No place and no time seemed right even though I prayed and prayed. Suddenly, God's providence brought us to a 6 person board and care home about 15 minutes away that had a rare opening for a man and was clearly right. The owner said that it wasn't the behaviors or the medical needs that guided her decision to accept him, rather it was the obvious sweetness of his spirit. Though fragile of body and confused of mind, Ted remains a vessel of God's sweet Holy Spirit full of power to bless the residents and caregivers of this new home!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger friendoffrodo said...

Carol, your love for your "Daddy" have been evident for many years. I pray this new season of life will find many opportunities for Daddy and his little girl to live new moments together while cherishing those from the past. Your dad continues to be one of the sweetest men I have ever known. I'm blessed that both of you are in my life and the life of my family.

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home