Sunday, March 13, 2005

An Almost Perfect Day

Tuesday afternoon I was invited to go sailing with some friends. Having only sailed once before, I jumped at the opportunity to go. The weather was beautiful and it looked to be a great day off the coast of Ventura. We were encouraged when we reached the marina as there was a slight breeze blowing. We were hopeful that we could set sail into the wild blue yonder. Well, that would be quite an overstatement for our journey.

We putted along behind the small motor until we got out aways. Then we hoisted the sails and looked for wind. We went in one direction and the other...at between 1 and 5 knots (not very speedy for you non-nautical types). We did enjoy eating peauts and sunflower seeds and drinking diet Cokes. But the wind never showed and so we putted back to the marina.

It made me think of my life. Sometimes no matter where I go, I can't seem to get the wind to move me. I try a little of this and a little of that, but nothing seems to work. When the wind does show up it can be quite exhilerating, but when it doesn't disappointment can set in. While I enjoy the windy days much more, I am learning that often times God will work on me during the still times. Though I get restless, He draws me close. Though I long for the noise of life, He speaks in the stillness.

I am still hoping for some wind...the next time I go out. But for now I am thankful for the time I spent with friends out on the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home